I have been blogging for over 10 years, starting with AOL, moving onto Tagged, Facebook, MySpace, deviant ART, Linked in, Windows Live, and many other blogging accounts ending with the best; Blogger.
To be a successful blogger it’s not enough to start a website and just blog about your day. I did this myself for years until I noticed that my blogs were suffering from spotty comments, bad content and low page views. I did research on the types of blogs that do get loads of comments and came to the conclusion that if I wanted to be successful at blogging I needed to do more than just socialize. I found out it takes hard work, clever planning, a sense of humor, brilliant writing and the right moves to become a successful blogger.
My list may be a long one, but I can bet that you will find something to help you make the right moves to be a better blogger. We can always improve can’t we?
If you want a social page you can add a tab to your BlogSpot, (like a Guestbook tab) and use it as a social page for your friends and family and still get your blog on. Don’t forget, there’s always Facebook for those of you that just want to socialize.
Here’s my tips to get more readers than you ever imagined and move your BlogSpot to the top of the line. Good luck, and most of all you should have fun with it and look forward to it. If you aren’t enjoying yourself maybe blogging isn’t for you.
Tips For Blogging Success
1. Publish Consistently-Daily posts are important! Content should be consistently posted because readers like predictability and will look forward to new posts from you on a daily basis. Figure out a publishing schedule you can live with and stick to it. Once a week or twice a month, whatever your blogging time permits stick to it. You are only as good as your last post.
2. Co-Blog with A Partner-Regular posts for blogs can be a hassle for some bloggers to manage solo. If you know you will not have the time to blog yourself, invite a co-worker or a friend who shares the same passion and dedication as you and ask them to co-blog. It keeps your regulars on your website instead of looking elsewhere and a different perspective never hurts.
3. Get On The Search Engines-When you are just starting out on your BlogSpot fifty is a magic number in blogging terms. I don’t know why the number 50 was picked but after 50 blogs your website will start to be picked up by the search engines and the page views will began to increase. The page views will grow exponentially with the increase in search engine queries. It’s almost as if “50 blogs” gives you a leg to stand on and the more search engines you are on the better.
4. Use Original Photos Or Images-It has been reported that blogs with original photos earned twice the number of page views than those articles with license-free images. Take the time to pick the right images to compliment your blog content and your blog will bring even more page views. I have found that animated gifs are an easy and fun way to make the look of your blogs POP. It adds an original look to your content that will bring even more page views your way.
5. Use Friendly Titles And Captions On Photos And Your Blogs-Keywords (or labels) help people find your blogs through your photos and captions give an extra anchor for readers because humans are naturally visual animals. It’s a little extra work but before you upload a photo for your blog, title each image with a keyword or label. It will ensure that the search engines optimize these so your website can be found by either the photos or on your blog. Do a search on yourself to see how you’re doing.
6. Comment On All Comments-Be social and grateful to your readers that leave comments. Most readers will not respond to blogs, even if they like them. I receive a lot more page views then comments because readers take the information and move on. So when you get a comment respond promptly. Address them by name, add to the discussion and invite them back. Thank them for their time and readership.
7. Read And Comment On Other People’s Blogs-Following someone’s blogs isn’t enough. You expect your Followers to read and comment on your blogs so it’s only fair play to visit, read and comment on your Followers blogs. Do this on a daily basis and soon you’ll find that you will receive the comments from your readers that you want.
8. Publish An Honest, Complete Profile-Websites where you can actually get to know some facts about the blogger’s work or life you are Following seem more legitimate than those with a frivolous profile page. Especially if you are serious about writing and want your Followers to trust in who you are and what you write. People like to know things like where you’re from, your interests, around what age you are, (it shows in your writing anyway) a little back round information and where you live. Don’t be shy, I can tell you from experience that an honest profile with a picture of yourself goes a long way. I took a few images of myself and made them into an animated gif for my profile picture and readers eat it up. Showing Followers a glimpse of who you really are goes a long way.
9. Email Signature With Your URL-At the bottom of every email you send your signature should include your email address, your URL, a cell phone number, or any other information you want to include it’s up to you. It will make networking easier and it’s a way to advertise that will help bring more readers to your blogging site. Optimally, you should have a separate email account designated just for that URL so that your personal messages don’t get lost in the mix. I have one account for my blogging/personal use and another for everything else.
10. Guest Bloggers-Find a blogger that you think is brilliant? You can learn from them. Ask them to guest blog on your site. They add a whole different dimension and outlook to your BlogSpot. You can ask them to blog on a certain subject or put up a prompt and ask people to write whatever they want about it. Or let them blog on what they want. When they do make sure they get a link back to their own site on your website for their work. Thank them for participating on your BlogSpot. Guest bloggers can help you with exposure. When you link to that blog, many of their Followers and friends will come to check out your site. Depending on the amount of readers they have it’s a great way to boost your page views or find new Followers yourself.
11. Be Interesting-Readers want to find fresh, valuable, entertaining and remarkable information. Make an effort to deliver more than just the facts. Make it about your subject matter, not you. It doesn’t hurt to be personal but avid blog readers won’t find blogs that talk about the weather everyday sound that interesting. Just like you, they want some meat on those bones.
12. Get Your Point Across-Style, grammar, spelling, layout, all count for nothing if your audience doesn’t get your meaning. Make yourself clear and understood.
13. Hold On To Passion-Keep the fires burning, don’t let your blog subject turn into a chore. It’s important to recognize when you need to scrap a blog too, sometimes they just aren’t good enough to post. Enjoy what you are doing and it will show.
14. Make A Good First Impression-Do new visitors know what your blog is about in under 10 seconds? Can they navigate your website easily? Make sure your blog is set up professionally so that your readers can clearly understand your subject matter and find what they are looking for.
15. Build Momentum And Optimize Your Blogs-Keep pushing every day and keep it up. I try to do one blog a day and if I get busy at least one every few days. It takes less effort to keep going than to stop and start again. All of us can improve our writing but it takes practice and motivation. Keep tweaking and continuously improve your writing because practice makes a perfect BlogSpot.
16. Look Good And Be Unique-Appearances count, in terms of your blog design and your posts. Make your content stand out by using the template designer in the advanced mode and make it your own. Change your website’s look occasionally so your readers see changes when they visit. I suggest balancing them out with animated and regular images. Don’t be afraid to try something new. If your website is the same as everyone else's, why would anyone bother to Follow your blog?
17. Give Out Your Own Awards And Share Others-Make your own special award and give them out to other bloggers that you think deserve them. The awards can be for anything you like. It’s a great way to tell your favorite bloggers you appreciate them and it will bring new people (their friends and Followers) to your BlogSpot increasing your readership. It’s all good.
18. Using Blogs Of Note For More Page Views-Look under your Blogger Dashboard at “Blogs Of Note” and check out the blogs there. These blogs are popular, crème of the crop and the sites have loads of Followers on them. Find the ones that interest you, Follow them, leave lots of comments and you will get more people checking out your site because of it
19. Be A Guest Blogger On Another Site-There are a lot of sites out there that encourage you to be a guest writer on their sites. You get a prompt, (usually a picture or term) and if you blog about it on your site it’s a plus! You will usually get a link on that site back to yours (at least you should) and people who Follow that site will come to see what you’ve done. It’s another great way to get more page views for your BlogSpot while you polish your blogging skills.
20. Monitor Your Stats-Stats tell you the health of your blog and where the traffic is coming from. Keep an eye on your statistics to make sure you are writing content that brings new readers in yet keeps your old ones. Your stats will also tell you if your blog strategy is solid or if you need to make some changes. Is your blog readership growing or fading away?
21. Communication Fascination-If you love your subject matter then let your readers know it. If you share your enthusiasm it becomes contagious and makes your readers excited about it too. Give them a reason to want to leave a comment.
22. Explore And Experiment-Blogs that make an effort to stretch, to break the mold and provide something unique are the blogs people flock to, chat about, and return to. Be inspired to have your BlogSpot under “Blogs Of Note.”
23. Poll Your Readers-Run different polls, the results are newsworthy and fun. Have a fixed date for the poll to be finished and blog on the results. Find out what your readers think about any subject you pick. Just make sure your poll is fun and interesting to your readers or you won’t get many answers.
24. Join Forums-Break out of your blogging bubble. Network by meeting potential readers online, discuss cool subjects and make new friends. You can learn a lot depending on the forum you are taking part in and you may find something awesome to blog about at the same time.
25. Get More Experience And Develop Expertise-Do new things, broaden your horizons, practice your writing and stretch your limits. Practice makes perfect. In no time you will learn what works for you and what doesn’t. You will develop a good idea as to what kind of blogs bring the readers to your BlogSpot.
26. Toot Your Own Horn-You worked hard for it, your blogging success will grow as you do and you’ll have more Followers then you ever imagined. Good for you!
Keep On Bloggin’!