Monday, February 4

Happy Groundhog Day!

Yes, it’s a day late but I started updating my BlogSpot yesterday and finished up rather late in the day. I like Groundhog Day because it’s an indicator that spring is coming and I really am hankering for it.

Not that we had a bad winter here in sunny California. Even though it was a cold year for us my blood can take it being from Indiana originally. I’m just glad I wasn’t in Michigan City this season, they are having very bad weather. When it gets down past 0 degrees it gets really crazy!

 photo cat.gif

 photo d24d849e.gif

 

What happened with Punxsutawney Phil?

 

Punxsutawney Phil didn’t see his shadow and proclaimed an early Spring for you and me.

 

Legend has it that if the furry rodent sees his shadow on 2 February on Gobbler's Knob, winter will last six more weeks. But if he doesn't see his shadow, spring will come early.

 

The prediction is made during a ceremony overseen by a group called the Inner Circle. Members don top hats and tuxedos for the ceremony on Groundhog Day each year.

Bill Deeley, president of the Inner Circle, said that after "consulting" with Phil, he makes the call in deciphering what he has to say about the weather.

Phil is known as the "seer of seers" and "sage of sages."

 

Organizer’s predicted about 20-thousand people this weekend, a larger than normal crowd because Groundhog Day fell on a weekend this year.

 

 photo cat.gif

  photo HappyGroundhogDay_.gif

Groundhog Day History & Historical Origins

The celebration began as a Pennsylvania German custom in southeastern and central Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries. It has it’s origins in ancient European weather lore, wherein a badger or sacred bear is the prognosticator as opposed to a groundhog. It also bears similarities to the Pagan festival of Imbolc, the seasonal turning point of the Celtic calendar which is celebrated on February 1st and also involves weather prognostication, and to St. Swithun’s Day in July.

An early American reference to Groundhog Day can be found in a diary entry dated Feb. 4, 1841 of Berks County, Pennsylvania, storekeeper James Morris.

The 2nd was also known as Candlemas Day, the day on which according to the Germans, the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six week nap. If the day is cloudy he remains out, as the weather is then said to be moderate.

In Scotland, the poem:

If Candlemas Day is bright and clear,
There'll be two winters in the year.

An English poem:

If Candlemas be fair and bright,
Winter has another flight.
If Candlemas brings clouds and rain,
Winter will not come again.

 photo cat.gif

images

The groundhog (Marmota monax) is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels.

Obviously the groundhog in this picture is enjoying an early spring.

Historical & Groundhog Info Source-Wikipedia

 photo cat.gif

Now you know more about Groundhog Day then you probably did before. I know I learned a few things researching this very old holiday.

In no time, spring will be here and that’s excellent news for me although the groundhogs forecasts are said to be, on average, inaccurate and that the groundhog has shown no talent for predicting the arrival of spring, especially in recent years. We can keep our fingers crossed.

 photo happy_groundhog_day2.gif  Keep On Bloggin’!

14 comments:

  1. Greetings from Canada, my friend ... did you say 0 degrees??? Hehehe ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you Cat! I bet you've been freezing to death, huh? Thanks for stopping by I always like hearing from you. Do you like my Blogspots new look?

      Delete
  2. Hi Bekkie, I think Goundhog Day is a great tradition. I always looked forward to it when I was a kid. I felt the same way about Valentines Day. Nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you too Horst! I was going through some old blogs and re-read one where I was talking about photography and you had commented that when you were still working it was dog eat dog in the photography world and that you were glad you were retired. Still feel that way? Any holiday is fine with me, I love them all!

      Delete
    2. Yes Bekkie, I still feel that way. I still love photography and do the photography I want now a days.

      Delete
  3. jervaise brooke hamster2/04/2013 07:40:00 PM

    "Groundhog Day" (1993) with Bill Murray was an appalling film but "12:01PM" (1989) with Kurtwood Smith is a minor classic, it also told the same story in 20 minutes rather than 90.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're still around JBH! When I was researching this blog I ran into all kinds of stuff about the movie Groundhog Day since they are both as popular this time of year. Yeah, I didn't like Groundhog Day myself. It was appalling.

      Delete
  4. eddie lydecker2/04/2013 07:42:00 PM

    Bekkie, i noticed that com-girl-t moderation has been enabled, any specific reason ?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Eddie! Yeah, I have the moderation on because I was getting spammed by bots and people from other countries where they say something interesting about your website (although it's not very specific)and then leave a link to their website which isn't really their website. The links lead to very sleazy websites and I can't always depend on my spam filter to catch them. They leave them on older blogs too where I might not see them for awhile. I hated to do it but it's OK, I usually moderate within a day. Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  5. teddy crescendo2/05/2013 04:17:00 AM

    Bekkie, I literally fell about laughing when i saw that Eddie Lydecker had replaced the word "men" in the word "comment" with the word "girl", he must be so murderously homo-phobic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. teddy crescendo2/05/2013 04:22:00 AM

    Bekkie, in that new photo of yourself that you`ve posted you dont look a day over 35. You look so pretty and sweet in that picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teddy that's really sweet of you to say that. You actually made my day! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  7. teddy crescendo2/06/2013 12:57:00 PM

    My pleasure little darlin`.

    ReplyDelete

I hope you like the geekiness and topics that I write about in Wonderland. This is an older blog so I don't write very often anymore, however, the posts from the past are still enjoyable and I wrote on a plethora of subjects so give my Wonderland a try you may like it. Big hug!

BTW I have Comment Moderation turned on for the rude ones who have to leave fake comments with poorly hidden links in them. You ruin it for everyone but you already know that.