Monday, February 25

Beatle And Birthday Boy

slide_282954_2151271_free

“Today’s Your Birthday” George Harrison turns 70 today.

  photo cb1recoloredandbirthdayized.jpg

George!

I saw the news today oh boy! It said nothing about it being George Harrison’s birthday today. That is, until I got online. The good ole’ internet, what would I do without it?

I was going to write a short synopsis on George’s beginnings but if you don’t already know about him or the Beatles then you’ve had your head under a rock for decades or you’re too young to know better.

I will tell you a few things I knew about him and I found some neat quotes that I’ll be glad to pass along.

The first 45’s I ever bought (or lifted, I was a kid once) were by the Beatles. Movies were still in black and white and the Beatles first movie was coming to my small town’s movie theater. That’d be ‘A Hard Days Night’; a movie and a gold record for the Beatles in 1964.

To be picked to go to the first showing of the movie there was a deal about saving pennies for charity and getting a ticket (to ride) to go to the already overcrowded movie premier. I saved my pennies alright and my mom and I went to see my first true glance at the fab four.

The movie was about Paul’s nasty grandfather and the Beatle’s train ride to perform at a London TV show. With grandpa and many unwelcomed interruptions, the train ride is less than relaxing. Even in their first movie George Harrison escapes the rest of the gang to hide in the ‘goods van’ for some peace.

It wouldn’t be the first or the last time that George separated himself from the other lads during their long and winding road of a roller-coaster career.

"The nicest thing is to open the newspapers and not to find yourself in them." George Harrison.

At first, like any other guy finding himself in a band making gold records and getting ridiculously rich and famous George embraced his career in the Beatles. But it didn’t last for long as he was dubbed the “shy Beatle” right away with John, Paul and Ringo always brightly beaming in the lime light and receiving most of the attention.

 photo danceRingo.gif

"The biggest break in my career was getting into the Beatles in 1962. The second biggest break since then is getting out of them." George Harrison.

slide_282954_2151272_free

He soon found that he not only felt different, but he was different in his thoughts about life, music and religion. Fame and fortune soon became a heavy weight for him that he knew he wasn’t meant to carry.

“I remember thinking I just want more. This isn't it. Fame is not the goal. Money is not the goal. To be able to know how to get peace of mind, how to be happy, is something you don't just stumble across. You've got to search for it.” George Harrison.

And search he did becoming a follower of the Hare Krishna movement and spiritual mysticism where he finally found great happiness and acceptance.

"Sometimes I feel like I'm actually on the wrong planet. It’s great when I’m in my garden, but the minute I go out the gate I think, ‘What the hell am I doing here?’” George Harrison.

The lead guitarist of the Beatles died of metastatic non-small cell, lung cancer in 2001 but his legacy as a spiritualist, musician and Beatle lives on. He penned several of the Beatles greatest hits and his 1970 solo album “All Things Must Pass” was a number one hit in it’s time. He would have been 70 today.

"There's high, and there's high, and to get really high -- I mean so high that you can walk on the water, that high -- that's where I'm going." George Harrison.

I like to think that’s where he is right now. Looking down on us all and shaking his head in great amusement.

Source info taken from Wikipedia

 photo 11490921.gif Keep On Bloggin’!

4 comments:

  1. steve prefontaine2/25/2013 12:24:00 PM

    Lennon, McCartney, and Harrison always seemed like good geezers but i always thought Ringo Starr was a bloody load of old rubbish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Steve. He was less talented than the others. If you look closely at the last animated gif above you'll see George behind Ringo (as usual) as Ringo's goofing off for the press.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lowdown on George Harrison. Some good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for stopping by Horst. Lord knows I don't deserve it. I get so tied up in writing my blogs and Google Plus that I forget about the important people who back me on this website and one of my long time friends and followers has been you. I will be visiting you more you deserve it. Have a good week and see you soon.

      Delete

I hope you like the geekiness and topics that I write about in Wonderland. This is an older blog so I don't write very often anymore, however, the posts from the past are still enjoyable and I wrote on a plethora of subjects so give my Wonderland a try you may like it. Big hug!

BTW I have Comment Moderation turned on for the rude ones who have to leave fake comments with poorly hidden links in them. You ruin it for everyone but you already know that.